Please use GoodSearch for your internet searches and select a charity (such as Dominican Sisters of Houston). Thank you.

crazy week

Friday, June 19, 2009

What a week. Wednesday p.m. I was at work and got a call from home. The air conditioner is not working. One of the toilets is not working. I go home and try to check on both. A friend guided me on the air conditioner and got it to limp along (the fan on the outside unit needs a little help to get it going). That same night I changed out a tire because apparently my car is out of alignment and it's wearing out the inside edge of my tire. It's almost bald there. Not wanting to risk a blowout as I drive, I change out the tire with my spare.

Thursday a.m. the A/C is not working again (since I was sleeping, I wasn't out there to give the fan a little help). The dog threw up. So I go clean that up. Plus it's the day to get the trash together and put it out. We thought our friend was coming to fix the A/C. I go to work, leaving gumby to deal with all that. By midday the dog had thrown up again. He continued to throw up as the day wore on. Gumby was constantly cleaning up. Our friend did eventually come and fix the A/C late that evening and diagnosed the toilet. I get home and I bathe the dog. He threw up 4 or 5 more times before we went to bed around 3 a.m., then again some time in the middle of the night, then again before 7 a.m., waking me up.

Gumby took him to the vet. I went to work. The dog was near death by the time he got to the vet. He was all dehydrated and his electrolytes were all out of whack. The vet re-scheduled a bunch of appointments and worked on saving him. He had eaten his bed over weeks if not months and that stuff was stuck in his stomach, which is now maybe three times larger than normal (but you can't tell by just looking at him). After giving him I-V treatment and stabilizing him, they were able to do surgery and remove that gunk from his stomach. They'll keep him over the weekend. My fault for not having prevented the dog from eating large amounts of that stuff; I thought it was all passing through.

Workwise, I've had maybe 4 or 5 hours to work on what I needed to work on. I've been stuck in meetings, with Thursday and Friday being day-long meetings. I've taken the work home, and hope to have the stamina to work on it this weekend.

My car still needs an alignment. Gumby can take it to the shop for me on Monday; I just don't know how the dollars are going to work out. I still need to straighten up the house. I have cleaned the crate yesterday, but would like to go back and do a more thorough disinfecting. I'm thinking I'll clean it with the same stuff recommended for cleaning refrigerators.

0 comments: