Please use GoodSearch for your internet searches and select a charity (such as Dominican Sisters of Houston). Thank you.

Happy Father's Day

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers, dads and "old man" out there.

Research has indicated (though I don't have the source for citation) that it is the father's faith that has the greatest impact on the faith of the children. Sure, there may be more religiously devoted moms than dads, but it's the families with religiously devoted dads that are more likely to have children who continue the faith.

For me personally, it is quite compelling to see my pastor kneel in prayer instead of relying on his own strength. And he's no wimp. Even though he's on the "senior" side, I don't doubt that he can still kick a**.

As for my own father... I remember he came home one night, woke me up, took a drive and went to the movies with me on his lap (it was crowded in the place). I was no more than seven; a major event happened when I was seven, and this was before that. We never spoke a word that night (heck, I was probably half-asleep) and to this day I have no idea what that was all about. Nor will I ever ask. And I'd never given it much thought, but this being father's day, the memory surfaced.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just, wow. A powerful post in honour of the two important fathers in your life.

Anonymous said...

Good comments, indeed. Actually, as I get older, I find myself impressed by my peers who are now fathers for the first time. To be a father and a religious man is a beautiful vocation, for sure.

seeking_something said...

Hi! Thanks for the comments. Been buried in work and haven't seen or done much in blogland.