Please use GoodSearch for your internet searches and select a charity (such as Dominican Sisters of Houston). Thank you.

profanity

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I believe that it is possible to live without profanity. I think it would be good to never utter curse words. I don't consider being able to "curse like a sailor" an achievement. Our culture has gotten used to profanity and it pops up even in casual conversation. If it's a cool thing to do, then it's about as cool as smoking. It would be a mistake to think that the foul words are harmless. On the contrary, they promote a rather careless and negative attitude.

It is not what enters one's mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles one. (NAB Mt 15:11)
This is not to say that I'm immune from expressing profanities myself. I wish I had never learned to curse. I don't use foul language much; but When I do, it's from a dark place and it does nothing for my or anyone else's betterment. I hope to purge myself of this habit.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. (NIV Ps 19:14)

0 comments: