Please use GoodSearch for your internet searches and select a charity (such as Dominican Sisters of Houston). Thank you.

new PC

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Tuesday we had some business to take care of on the north side of town. I didn't go in to work so that this could be accomplished. It wasn't until late afternoon that we finished and headed for home. When we got home, we were surprised to see a big box on our porch.

It was our new computer. I wasn't expecting it for a few more days. Surprising too that they left it there without our signature. Anyhow, although I was exhausted, I dove into the new PC. It's a mid-priced system, with the basic hardware and Windows Vista. Yeah, Vista. So far it looks good. My immediate problem was that my old modem wasn't stable in it. And to top it off, my ISP software won't load onto Vista.

After trying a variety of things, I went out and purchased a new modem this evening. It seems to be working. As far as my ISP, I called tech support and explained that I have Vista and that the software won't load. (The software, in fact, has a huge notice that it wasn't Vista compatible and that I should call tech support.) So what did tech support do? She started to walk me through a modem diagnostics. *sigh* That didn't go far because I wasn't at home to do the steps. Regardless... yo there, cookie cutter, this ain't that kind of problem.

Anyhow, I've loaded Open Office, Adobe Reader 8, Mozilla 2, and Filezilla. I haven't connected the printers, but one has a Vista driver that I downloaded and the other claims that it has native Vista support. I transferred the photos from one of the cell phones to the new PC. I can't get the pictures out of the other cell phone -- I need a data cable for it. I've moved a bunch of files over from the old PC already, but I haven't moved the e-mail stuff.

The monitor was purchased separately and it came today. I've been consumed with the new PC. I still have some things to figure out regarding it.

0 comments: