Please use GoodSearch for your internet searches and select a charity (such as Dominican Sisters of Houston). Thank you.

Solemn Vespers

Sunday, December 04, 2005

At solemn vespers, everything is either sung or chanted, except the readings. I love the "Our Father" because I already knew that chant. Also they have incense.

I sense that at this moment, music is not this congregation's strongest point. I enjoy chanting, but me not being a vocalist, I hit several wrong pitches several times. It could just be me, but I don't think I got any help with pitches from the organ.

I got a chance to meet some of the Sisters. Some were fun. Best yet, some invited me to join the community. I told them I was going to meet this other Sister on Tuesday, and she said, "Oh, but we want you here. We want you to join us." Now how can I possibly refuse that? ;) Ultimately, of course, I am trying to find out where God wants me. I was invited to come more often so that I can get to know the Sisters better. Now that's cool.

4 comments:

Emily said...

wow, I'm glad you had a good time! May I ask which community this is? Just curious....best of luck with your discernment!

Anonymous said...

Come meet my Groovy Sisters! They're the bestest! ;-)

Or, as Steph would say--adapted of course: "All the cool kids are Dominicans!" :-P

Night!

seeking_something said...

Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament, CVI for short in Latin...they don't have much of a website but there's a whole "family" of such communities on the web...they're more of a "teaching" community although they do other stuff too, and yes, wearing the habit is an option

Steph Youstra said...

Yeah? Well, Benedict tells us to see the face of Christ in all, so why would you tell Seeking she's not "cool" just cuz she doesn't want to be a Dominican? That's not very nice of you!

Seriously, though, Seeking .... glad it went well, and best wishes on the journey.

And as one who sometimes is the keyboardist for our chant .... you might not be getting pitches from the organ. But, if it's like here, you'll have PLENTY of opportunities to learn!