Please use GoodSearch for your internet searches and select a charity (such as Dominican Sisters of Houston). Thank you.

big city

Thursday, January 19, 2006

I live in a big city. I just realized that. It took me 45 minutes to get across town on a freeway (doing 60-65mph). When I finished and headed back, it was rush hour. There is not a single freeway or major road in the city that is not jam-packed with cars. I made the mistake of attempting the low road. I was just following my nose, not really having a clear idea of where the road goes. For a while there, it looked like I was making better time than if I had attempted the freeway. Then it got bad. Eventually I took a left. Then eventually a right. Then I found myself in the medical center. That's really bad. Eventually made it to a freeway, and it was still packed (this is an hour since I started the trek back) ... we were going 20-35 mph for several miles. It took a total of 1.5 hours to get home, which I then passed up to go get some food.

Looking through the window of the food place, it looked like two busloads of people were packed in line in there. I go to the take-out counter. Waited a few minutes to place my order. Then guess what? They ran out of some of the food. So people started modifying their orders and making substitutions. I'm still waiting. Eventually I get "it'll be another 10 minutes for mashed potatoes." Okay, give me new potatoes then. A little while later it's "we're out of cornbread, it'll be another 2 minutes." Give me rolls then. That was 30 minutes for the take out order. So in total, it took me more than two hours to get home.

I'm on the southeast side of town. My last work location is even further south away from the city. So I never had to go through town. Today I learned that I live in a B-I-G city. *sigh* another thing to look forward to when I do get a new job. And heck no, I ain't taking the low road next time.

0 comments: